We want to make sure you understand how we process and post transactions to your account to help you manage your account and avoid fees.
BBVA posts transactions to your account throughout the day, unlike many banks that post transactions at the end of the day. Our system allows us to more closely match the posting of transactions to your account with the timing of your actual transaction activity. This will enhance your banking experience by providing you more timely information concerning your account.
Please read this brochure to understand our processing systems and transaction posting to your account, so that you can effectively manage your account and help avoid overdraft and insufficient funds related fees.
PLEASE RETAIN THIS IMPORTANT INFORMATION WITH YOUR BANK RECORDS
If you have any questions, please call us at 1-844-BBVA USA.
Thank you for banking with BBVA.
Processing times of your transactions will differ depending on how the transaction was conducted; for example, the system will process certain electronic transactions immediately, as they occur, however, other transactions, such as check transactions cannot be processed until the bank receives the check for processing.
The following are examples of processing times1:
|Type of Transaction||Processing Times|
||Processed at various times throughout the business day.
||Processed at various time during the day on the business day that we receive the transaction for payment.*
||Varies, but generally processed at the end of the business day of the deposit.
*Debit Card transactions made without using a PIN. A hold may be placed at the time the transaction occurs to help ensure you have sufficient Available Balance to cover the transaction when it posts. Generally, it will post 1-3 days later. Placing a hold does not ensure that you will have sufficient Available Balance to cover the transaction when it settles. You must have a sufficient Available Balance to pay the transaction on the day the transaction is received for payment. Although debit card transactions made without using a PIN may not impact your Posted Balance until the business day the transaction is received for payment, in many cases, this type of debit card transaction will have an immediate impact on your Available Balance. We may place a hold on your account in the amount requested by the merchant immediately upon authorization of the transaction. You must have a sufficient Available Balance to pay the transaction on the day the transaction is received for payment.
Key Terms to Understand: Available Balance and Posted Balance
Your Available Balance is the balance in your account that is available for immediate withdrawal and reflects any holds placed on your account. Your Posted Balance is your account balance based solely on items that have been posted to your account and does not reflect any holds placed on your account. Please see your Deposit Account Agreement for more detailed information related to your Available Balance and Posted Balance.
Why is this important?
Posting transactions throughout the day results in faster processing and transactions will generally be reflected in your Available Balance and Posted Balance more quickly. Because transactions will post to your account throughout the day, it is important to keep an accurate account record and to be sure your Available Balance is always sufficient to cover your purchases, withdrawals and payments. A deposit received and processed in the afternoon will not cover payments and withdrawals that were processed that morning.
For example, you may not want to schedule a bill payment or transfer to occur on the same day that you expect a direct deposit, or to make a deposit that is needed to pay that transaction, because there's no way to ensure that the deposit will be available to cover the bill payment or transfer. Because transactions will post throughout the day, it's important to remember that deposits made later in the day may not be available to cover withdrawals that post earlier in the day.
If you exceed your Available Balance, you could be charged a fee or have your transaction returned or declined. Please refer to the Consumer Miscellaneous Fees and Charges schedule or the Non-Consumer Deposit Account Terms and Conditions for a listing of fees related to your account.
Currently, our NSF and Extended Overdraft fees are as follows:
Insufficient funds (NSF) fees per transaction:
- Insufficient Funds (NSF) Charge - Paid Item: $38 ($32 in CA)
- Insufficient Funds (NSF) Charge – Paid Item Fee is not charged on an item that causes the available balance on your account to be overdrawn by $1.00 or less.
- Insufficient Funds (NSF) Charge - Returned Item: $38 ($32 in CA)
We'll apply these charges for processing items presented for payment against insufficient funds (NSF). These charges are imposed on items created by check, in-person withdrawal, ATM withdrawal, Debit Card transaction, or other electronic means.
Extended Overdraft Service Charge:
- $23 per occurrence
Charged when your account remains overdrawn by more than $1.00 for seven (7) consecutive calendar days. An additional $23.00 Extended Overdraft Service Charge will be assessed for every seven (7) consecutive calendar days that your account remains overdrawn by more than $1.00. A maximum of four Extended Overdraft Service Charges may be assessed per overdraft occurrence. This charge is in addition to any NSF fees you may incur as a result of items being presented against insufficient available funds.
Overdraft Management Solutions
With our easy-to-use Overdraft Management Solutions, we've gone the extra mile to create a banking relationship that gives you peace of mind. Take advantage of these tools that will aid in both the prevention and management of overdrafts.
Tools to help you prevent Overdrafts
- Customizable Online and Mobile Banking Alerts: Set up account alerts and always know what's going on with your accounts. Key alerts to set up for account management include: Account Balance, Account Summary, and Insufficient Funds alerts.
- Online Banking: Our convenient Online Banking tool is yet another way for you to monitor your account activity.
- Mobile Banking: No need to visit a branch or call us. Use your mobile phone to track checking account activity.
- Direct Deposit: Setting up Direct Deposit is a convenient way to ensure your money is automatically deposited into your account on a regular basis.
Tools to help you manage Overdrafts
Even with the many options available to help you manage your account, sometimes the unexpected happens. At BBVA, we help you manage those moments with the following tools:
- Courtesy Overdraft Option2 is a service designed to allow you to choose how you want your overdrafts caused by ATM withdrawal and every day debit card transactions to be handled. At account origination, you decided whether to opt-in or opt-out of Courtesy Overdraft Option for ATM and every day debit card transactions. If you opted-in, we may, at our discretion, allow you to make transactions against your account even if you have insufficient funds to cover the transaction. If the item is paid, an "NSF Charge - Paid Item" fee of $38 ($32 in CA) would apply if the charge causes the available balance on your account to be overdrawn by more than $1.00. $23 Extended Overdraft Service Charges may also apply when your account remains overdrawn by more than $1.00 for seven (7) consecutive calendar days. An additional $23.00 Extended Overdraft Service Charge will be assessed for every seven (7) consecutive calendar days that your account remains overdrawn by more than $1.00. A maximum of four Extended Overdraft Service Charges may be assessed per overdraft occurrence. The total overdraft amount is due and payable immediately. If you opt-out, and you do not have sufficient funds in your account to cover the transaction, the item would not be paid and you would need to find another way to complete the transaction. If you would like to change your overdraft preferences after account origination, you can visit a BBVA branch, go to BBVA Online Banking or call 1-844-BBVA USA.
- Linked Account Overdraft Sweep Service3 links your BBVA savings, money market, or secondary checking account to your primary checking account to cover overdrafts. You will be charged a once-daily Inter-Account Transfer Fee of $12 ($7 in CA) for each day the bank makes one or more transfers.
- With a BBVA Overdraft Protection Line of Credit4, links your existing checking account to a line of credit to cover overdrafts and help protect against returned checks and unnecessary fees. You will be charged a once-daily Overdraft Protection Fee of $12 ($7 in CA) for each day the bank makes one or more advances from your ODP Line of Credit and will be subject to a 21-27% APR, based on creditworthiness. As we transition to PNC, BBVA USA is no longer accepting applications for Overdraft Protection Line of Credit. Customers who had Overdraft Protection Line of Credit prior to June 19, 2021 will continue receiving this service.
Details you need to make a smart decision
1Processing Times: The order and/or manner in which we process and post credits, debits and deposit holds may vary by the product, service, account type, or type of transaction. For example, accounts with a money market sweep service will process and post transactions differently than an account without this service. This is due, in part, to the fact that some services, transactions or products must process differently based on specific features, terms, or conditions. The processing times given are by way of example only and not a guarantee of processing times in all situations. Deposits may be processed immediately but the funds may not necessarily be immediately available for withdrawal. Please see our Funds Availability Policy in your Deposit Account Agreement for more detail.
2Courtesy Overdraft Option: Your Courtesy Overdraft Option opt-in/out preferences will determine whether or not we will authorize and pay, at our discretion, an ATM or everyday debit card transaction into overdraft. You are automatically opted-in for Checks and Other Transactions, which means we will authorize and pay, at our discretion, these types of transactions into overdraft. Your opt-in/opt-out preferences for all types of transactions can be changed at any time after account opening through BBVA Online Banking, by calling 1-844-BBVA USA or by visiting a branch. Opting-in is NOT a guarantee that your overdrafts will be paid. Payment of an overdraft is made at the discretion of BBVA. For certain transactions, an NSF-Returned Item fee of $38 ($32 in CA) may apply even if the bank chooses not to pay a transaction into overdraft. If your account remains overdrawn by more than $1.00 for seven (7) consecutive calendar days, an Extended Overdraft Service Charge of $23 will be assessed. An additional $23.00 Extended Overdraft Service Charge will be assessed for every seven (7) consecutive calendar days that your account remains overdrawn by more than $1.00. A maximum of four Extended Overdraft Service Charges may be assessed per overdraft occurrence. This charge is in addition to any NSF fees you may incur as a result of items being presented against insufficient available funds. The Extended Overdraft Service Charge does not apply to savings or money market accounts. The total negative balance, including any and all related fees and charges , is due and payable immediately without demand. Note that transactions may not be processed in the order that they occur. The order in which transactions occur, and the order in which they are received and processed by BBVA, can affect the total amount of overdraft fees charged.
3Linked Account Overdraft Sweep Service: While there is no service charge for the Linked Account Overdraft Sweep Service, for each day on which a transfer is made from your savings account to cover an overdraft in your linked checking account, an Inter-Account Transfer Fee of $12.00 ($7.00 in CA) will be charged to your linked checking account. However, if your savings account is linked to a BBVA Premium Checking account, you will not be assessed the Inter-Account Transfer Fee. Having Linked Account Overdraft Sweep Service does not guarantee you against paying NSF fees; the amount of funds in your savings account may not be sufficient to cover all transactions. Even if enough funds are in the secondary account to cover an overdraft, the bank is not obligated to transfer funds if: (a) the secondary account is dormant, inactive, or frozen; or (b) the transfer exceeds or would exceed any limitation on the number of transactions that are permitted for the secondary account. Withdrawal transactions from savings and money market accounts are governed by federal law and, if transaction limitations are exceeded, the account could be reclassified as non-interest bearing. Federal law limits transfers to another deposit account with BBVA or to a third party by means of a preauthorized agreement, telephonic request, check, debit card, draft or similar order (including Online Banking transfers and sweep transfers from this account) to a total of six (6) per month. There is no limit on the number of withdrawals from savings or money market accounts when made in person at a BBVA banking office or at an automated teller machine. Withdrawal transactions subject to Excess Transaction Fees.
4Overdraft Protection Line of Credit: Overdraft Protection Line of Credit accounts are subject to approval, including credit approval. APR for Overdraft Protection Line of Credit: 21-27% based on creditworthiness. An Overdraft Protection Fee of $12 ($7 in CA) per day will be charged to your checking account for each day in which an advance is made from your ODP Line of Credit to cover an overdraft (maximum one Overdraft Protection Fee per day, regardless of the number of overdraft transactions in a given day). For Credit Lines originated in AL and FL between June 22, 2020 and April 2, 2021, a $10 Annual Fee will be charged to your Checking Account 60 days after your account is originated and annually on that date every year thereafter. Having an Overdraft Protection Line of Credit does not guarantee you against paying NSF fees; the amount of credit available on your ODP Line of Credit may not be sufficient to cover all transactions. Not all deposit accounts are eligible.