Frequently Asked Questions
What is Popmoney?
Popmoney allows you to send money to anyone in the United States via email or text.
Quick Facts about Popmoney
- Popmoney offers an easy way to send money for all the things that come up. Need to pay a friend back for movie tickets? Send her the money and include a message saying, "Thanks for the tickets!" Popmoney is also great for…
- pitching in or collecting money for a baby gift for a coworker
- dividing the bill at a group dinner (no more waiting to split the check; just pay the money online!)
- sending a cash gift to someone
- paying club dues or home owner's association fees
- Send money using an email address.
- Popmoney provides a large person to person payment network through Popmoney that includes 1,400 U.S. financial institutions.
- You can personalize your payments to friends and family with eGreetings.
- Schedule future and recurring payments to help you save time and control your payments better.
How does Popmoney work?
To send money to a person, enter their e-mail address, mobile number and the amount you want to send. Or if you've sent them money previously, just select their name from your send list and enter an amount.
If the person you're sending money to is not registered with Popmoney, they will receive an e-mail inviting them to use the service and to claim the money.
How does a person receive money from me?
If the person you're sending money to has signed up for the Popmoney service, the money you send is deposited into their account automatically. If the person has not signed up for the service, they receive an invitation that explains how to sign up and claim the money.
How fast can I send and receive money with Popmoney?
Popmoney transactions are sent with a three business day delivery speed. For example, if you send an email or mobile payment and the recipient is not yet registered for the service, he/she must sign up for the service so that their account information is registered to deposit their payment.
How do payments show up on my account statement?
When you receive your account statement, the payments made through Popmoney usually appear as electronic withdrawals (similar to ATM withdrawals).
NOTE: In some cases, the payments appear on your account statement just like your other checks. However, the sequence numbers on these transactions are typically higher than the sequence numbers on your checks.
How secure is my financial and personal information?
Popmoney uses several methods to ensure that your information is secure.
- SSL – Popmoney uses SSL (secure sockets layer) which ensures that your connection and information are secure from outside inspection.
- Encryption – Popmoney uses 128-bit encryption to make your information unreadable as it passes over the Internet.
Security is also utilized at specific points and actions in the product. For example, to help prevent an unauthorized person from fraudulently depositing someone else’s payment, one-time passcodes are used. For every initial payment to a new email address or mobile phone number, a one-time passcode is sent to the user. The user must provide that passcode to verify his “ownership” of that mobile number or email address before he can deposit the payment.
Which browsers should I use to access Popmoney?
For best performance, we recommend you use one of the following supported browsers:
While other browsers may work with Popmoney, these supported browsers provide the highest level of security, accuracy, and functionality.
How do I change my browser?
Changing your browser to a currently supported version is easy. You can download a browser from the following web sites:
When the download is complete, follow the instructions to install the browser. After it is installed, you may want to select it as your default browser.
Tips for Screen Reader Users?
The following features may help you navigate Popmoney more easily:
- Link Titles – If a link opens a new window, you are alerted in the link title. Most of the links have descriptive labels, but we provide additional information in the link title if necessary. For this reason, we recommend that you set your screen reader to read the link title attributes.
- Table Summaries – Whenever information is presented in a table format, we provide a brief description of the contents.
- Font Sizes – The fonts can be resized without significantly changing the layout of a page.
Details you need to make a smart decision
Member of the popmoney network.
*To use Simple Personal Payments, customer must be enrolled in BBVA Online Banking with Bill Pay service. Any fees or service charges associated with your deposit account(s) will continue to apply. Standard text message rates also apply; check with your wireless carrier for your text message rate plan and available plans.
US Banks only. Payment amount limitations may apply. A "Business Day" is Monday through Friday, excluding Federal Holidays and other days that banks may be legally closed.