Welcome to Student Banking 101
Checking and prepaid card accounts for students
As a student, you're busy, mobile, and always looking for the latest app to make life easier. You manage your student bank account primarily through the convenience of Online and Mobile Banking, and you want to save money to spend on other things—like books for biology class or pizza to share with friends.
Looking for a student checking account designed with you in mind? BBVA Free Checking is the perfect first bank account for students. You’ll enjoy no monthly Service Charge and great features including:
- No ATM fees for BBVA USA ATMs
- Free award-winning Mobile Banking app, with Mobile Deposit®1 and Bill Pay, that allows you to bank anywhere—from dorm to library
- One free standard Visa® Debit Card per accountholder, eligible for Apple Pay, Google Pay, and Samsung, so you can pay retailers from your smartphone
- Option to activate and earn money with Simple Cash Back℠—a program that rewards you for debit card purchases at popular retailers
- Free Mobile Banking app that gives you full control to activate your new card, change your PIN, and even temporarily or permanently block use of your card
Frequently use other bank's ATMs? No problem. With Custom Features, you pay a low monthly fee for no-fee usage of any other bank's ATM with up to four automatic rebates per statement cycle for ATM fees charged by other banks.
ClearSpend Prepaid Card
Want to set a budget for yourself—or if you’re a parent, set one for your college student? With the BBVA ClearSpend Visa® Prepaid Card, you’ll get access to an app that suggests a budget for you based on your spending habits, with real-time alerts* to help keep you on track.
- No overdraft fees
- No purchase transaction fees
- No monthly Service Charge as long as $400 or more is loaded during each calendar month, otherwise a $4 Monthly Service Charge will be assessed2
- No Load Fees at a BBVA branch, through a BBVA debit card or through ACH/Direct deposit. Visa ReadyLink® merchants may charge a fee for this service
- No credit score check to apply**
You may also be interested in:
Financial Literacy 101 for Students
If you're a college student or recent graduate, Financial Literacy 101 is probably not on your list of graduation requirements—but it should be.
Details you need to make a smart decision
BBVA Free Checking: All checking accounts subject to approval, which may include credit approval. $25 minimum opening deposit required. Please refer to the Terms & Conditions for additional details. Additional terms and miscellaneous fees may apply. Products, features, and benefits offered with accounts are subject to change at any time.
1Mobile Deposit® is subject to eligibility. Deposit limits apply. Funds may not be available immediately.
2Please Note: ClearSpend Monthly Service Charge can be avoided with $400 or more in loads during each calendar month. The Monthly Service Charge will be assessed on the 15th of the following month if load requirement has not been met for the preceding month.
BBVA ClearSpend: $25 minimum opening deposit required. ClearSpend Accounts available to U.S. residents who are over 18 years old (or 19 in certain states) and for use virtually anywhere Visa Cards are accepted, subject to verification.
*Alerts may be delayed or may not always be available. Thus, your balance may not reflect all transactions.
**BBVA ClearSpend Card Subject to approval, including fraud prevention measures.
Visa and Visa Readylink are registered trademarks of Visa International Service Association and used under license.