Checking Accounts for Teens
Guide your teen to financial independence
Free Checking: A great starter account with full-service features
When your teen is learning about money management and banking, a checking account is a great first step. A checking account can help teach teens, with a parent’s guidance, how bank accounts work, how to use online banking tools, and how to write a check. It can also help parents start discussions with their teens about the importance of creating budgets, managing spending, and saving money.
The BBVA Free Checking account is a great choice for a starter account.
- Minimum opening deposit of $25
- Checking accounts with a minor account holder must be originated in branch and jointly owned with an adult over the age 18 or over the age of 19 in Alabama
- The adult and child account holders must both be present at account opening
No monthly Service Charge
Parents can monitor account activity and set up alerts with BBVA Mobile Banking app
24/7 account access and online deposits
Our Free Checking account comes loaded with free features.
- Free customizable account alerts
- One Free Visa® Debit Card for each account holder who is at least 16 years old1
- Earn cash back rewards for everyday debit card purchases with Simple Cash BackSM
- Personalize with your favorite photo for $10 per card
- No ATM fees at BBVA USA ATMs
- Optional overdraft protection by linking to a BBVA savings account
- Free Online Banking and Mobile Banking, plus Mobile Deposit®
Benefits for Parents and Teens:
- Online access and account alerts allow parents to review their teen’s account activity anytime
- Online transfers allow parents to easily transfer money into their teen’s account
- Overdraft protection can help against unexpected overdrafts and returned items
- Manage your accounts with 24/7 online access
- Get account alerts via text message, email, or online
- Check balances and account activity, develop budgeting skills with free money management tools using the BBVA Mobile App
You may also be interested in:
Understanding Joint Bank Accounts - How Do They Work?
More than one person might pay the bills. And more than one person needs access to cash.
6 Financial Rules Every Collge Freshman Should Know
Unfortunately, most college freshmen aren't equipped to make sound financial decisions.
Details you need to make a smart decision
All checking accounts and Debit Cards are subject to approval, which may include credit approval. $25 minimum opening deposit required. Please refer to the Terms & Conditions for additional details. Additional terms and miscellaneous fees may apply. Products, features, and benefits offered with accounts are subject to change at any time.
1Checking accounts with a minor account holder must be originated in branch and be jointly owned with an adult over the age 18 or over the age of 19 in Alabama. Minimum debit card issuance age is 16 years old.